Monday, October 02, 2006

I created and printed out a short version of The Night Nurse, which doesn't sound like a big deal. And I guess it's not, really. But sometimes it's easier for me to spot mistakes in a hard copy than it is while said work is on the screen.

At this point, I'm most concerned with how well the theme of the larger piece fits into a smaller structure. It won't be a perfect fit simply because the very nature of the shorter piece - the reason for its very existence - is so different from the larger piece. The short version of The Night Nurse is simply to prove that I can handle myself behind a camera with a skeleton crew (or enough of a crew to get the job done).

As simple read through should do it, because I know what I'm looking for. I know what I want from this script. If I didn't know where I wanted to go with it, then I think I'd be in trouble.

And I think that's the secret to doing anything - or most anything - creative. Know what you're saying, or how you feel. There's nothing wrong with letting the work lead you around. It's not for me, so much, but I understand the appeal. But even in those cases, where your work is taking the initiative, it helps to know what's being said.

Bono of U2 once was asked what the songs of their Achtung Baby album were about. And he replied something like, "We'll find out during the tour." That suggests that the music led the way. But I don't know if that's entirely true. Bono wrote the lyrics and "said" something with them. There's a direction involved, and I think he was being cheeky. The truth is, the best albums, the best novels, the best art knows where it's going and what it's saying, but it's letting you read the map.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home