Wednesday, October 18, 2006

So on the 14th I was hanging out with a friend of mine, a Russian guy who wants to make cartoons for a living. Anyway, he tells me about this film class he took, and about how after the sessions were over he would be given the title of Producer. Now, it won't actually make him a producer, but he'll know how to produce a film... in theory anyway.

Anyway, I'm standing there with him in his study, and he says to me, "I'll hire you as a director."

Simple as that. I'm a director now. The last camera I stood behind was this morning when I took a photo of The Brothers Karamozov - but that's for another blog altogether. The point is, I haven't directed anything in my life, and here I am lassoed into directing a short film. But that's not all! No, I also have to come up with a script that's about 20 minutes long. Well, what do I have in my back pocket here but The Night Nurse! Or the short version of it anyway.

Or a short version of it.

One of the first things I thought about was "What if I can't get the locations I want? What do I do then?" I looked at the basic story and thought about substitutions. If I can't get a high end apartment, then I'll have to get a regular apartment. If I can't get an electric guitar to play a punk song, I'll have to get an acoustic, and make the song more mellow. Maybe mellow like Beck. If I can't get an office, then I'll have to substitute another scene entirely (which I might do anyway).

So I'm actually thinking of writing several different scripts now instead of waiting for the production to actually begin.

Next? Money, but I'll save that for another day.

1 Comments:

Blogger wa11z said...

Cool! Sounds like you know the right people. What kind of cartoons does your friend want to do?

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home