Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I just got off a shoot - four days long - two day shoots, two night shoots. It was directed by a friend of mine from my film class. There were, overall, about 20 of us, give or take a few. It was one hell of an experience. Basically, we shot in Long Island for two days, then two nights in the city at The Producers Club. I was the Assistant Director.

What that means is I did the slate, conferred about shots, issued warnings, corralled people onto set, looked threatening, and delegated responsibility, among other things.

The thing is, we needed more time. You'll hear that from me a lot, I think. The film I worked on in January? We needed more time. Hell, if it was up to me, we'd have wrapped that one in February. Speaking of, it screened last night in the city, along with three other films. I was rather proud, but astounded by how fast it shot by. I mean, who knew 15 minutes, 46 seconds was that short?

Anyway, the short needed more time, I think. We needed just one extra day. But that seems to be par for the course. If we'd had five days, I'd probably be saying "we needed six." And so on. And the only reason I say this is because the last day/night felt like it should have been cut in two. What amounted to a 15 minute scene (three whole pages!) needed an extra day to give the crew and cast a rest. Still, it was fun. Even though my back hurt through most of the production, which isn't a good sign.

The crew was international, which I love. The director? Israeli. The script super? Egyptian. The Assitant Camera? Indian (and I love working with him... we were on the same crew in school together, and he's an excellent filmmaker.) Sure, there were plenty of Americans, but I see one of those every time I look in the mirror. And no, I'm not the most normal guy out there, but still, I think it's refreshing to see the world through other people's eyes.

Now I'm going to write a short and shoot it in early June over a weekend (two locations, four actors, that kind of thing.) It's more to work with new equipment I haven't worked with before, and to see what I can get out of it. It's a test for this fall, when I plan on shooting the short version of The Night Nurse. That's not to say that this upcoming short (I'm calling it "The Interruption" for now) isn't going to get the attention it deserves, but I figure I might as well be honest about it.

I've also just signed on for a production in July to be directed by my favorite director, FSG. I'm a sucker for a talented, beautiful woman behind a camera.

More later, and I hope to be coming back her more and more often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home